Human Sperm | The male human sperm is more than what you think it is; it has certain qualities and characteristics that make it beyond ordinary.
What do you know about the male human sperm?
Below are certain facts you probably didn’t know
1. DIET AFFECTS THE SPERM
A man’s eating habits can affect the quality of his sperm. Sperm count and quality can be greatly affected by a man’s diet. In simpler terms, good diet can equate for a good sperm and a bad diet can also lead to a bad sperm health.
2. SPERM CAN LIVE IN THE VAGINA FOR UP TO 5 DAYS
The average male sperm can live in the woman’s vagina between one to two days. However, if the woman has a favourable acidic balance, the male sperm can live inside for up to five days.
3. On the average, every man’s ejaculation produces around 200 million sperm cells.
4. Even with one testicle, a man can still produce healthy sperm that would make him reproduce. Although there might be a reduction in production of sperm and semen, it would have enough quality to still be reproductive.
5. IT TAKES TWO MONTHS FOR A MAN’S SPERM TO MATURE
It takes about 75 days for a man’s sperm to mature in the testes. Also, until a new set of sperm matures, a healthy sperm would not be ready to fertilise an egg.
6. EVEN DEAD SPERM CAN MAKE HEALTHY BABIES
In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) has made it possible for a dead sperm to produce a healthy baby. According to the American Pregnancy Association, the technique behind this is that IVF specialists manually combine an egg and sperm in a laboratory dish and then transfer the embryo to the uterus.
7. SPERM LIVE FAST AND DIE YOUNG
Men aren’t lacking in supply and production of sperm with about 1,500 sperm cells produced every second, but the sperm cells have a brief life span.
8. THE SPERM IS NATURALLY COLD
A man’s body might be hot, but his sperm is built to remain cool at every point. The man’s sperm is on average 7 degrees Fahrenheit cooler. The testicles help keep the sperm cool so it would remain healthy.
9. OBESITY CAN RUIN HUMAN SPERM QUALITY
Obesity can lower sperm count and quality especially if the BMI of an obese man is above 25.
10. UNUSED SPERM GETS BROKEN DOWN AND REABSORBED IN THE BODY
Sperm that isn’t ejaculated and that still remains in the man’s body would die eventually and be reabsorbed in the body.
11. HUMAN SPERM AND SEMEN AREN’T THE SAME THING
Even though people use the two interchangeably, they aren’t exactly the same thing. While semen is the fluid that’s released during ejaculation, sperm is the microscopic tadpole-like cells which cause pregnancy, and it’s a part of the semen.